September 3, 2013

Scary Day

Last week, Ashlyn came into our bedroom in the morning when she woke up, just like every other morning.  I greeted her and noticed that she was touching the back of her head.  I took a closer look and Ashlyn's incision was all red, swollen, and had a bulge at the top of it!!  I jumped out of bed and had my husband look at it as well.  My heart started beating fast.  I called Ashlyn's primary care physician first and he called me back within twenty minutes.  He was concerned that she was having a CSF leak (and that was my main concern as well).  That, of course, was worst case scenario.  Her doctor was able to get us in to see him within a few hours.

I also called Ashlyn's neurosurgeon and left a detailed phone message and waited for them to call back.

Both doctors said that they thought an interior suture was trying to surface.  She was put on an antibiotic to ward off any infection for the time being.  The surgeon said to look for a clear or white suture and if it surfaced, to pull it out.  YIKES!

Well, so far, no suture has surfaced.  Her incision site looks much better and the redness and swelling are going away.

I really thought 16 months after surgery, we would be in the clear of anything like this.  Her incision site was looking great, but wow, that was scary!

No comments: