Two months ago, Ashlyn had an appointment with her pediatric opthalmologist. For more details read this post. Her doctor wanted to see her again to monitor her eye crossing and eye dilation. So, back we went.
I was figuring it was going to be a pretty uneventful appointment.
Not so much.
In less than two months, Ashlyn's eyes have continued to be dilated for the majority of the day and they are crossing more than before. The doctor asked if Ashlyn was having any seizures, which my reply was, "I don't think so," but of course it got me wondering.
We are glad that Ashlyn's recent MRI came back good so that is a starting point. The eye doctor wants us to start patching her eye again for two hours each day. They also ordered a stronger prescription for her glasses to help her eye crossing.
Ashlyn's doctor does not want to do surgery on her eyes for fear of over-correcting. The doctor also feels that her eye issues are associated with Chiari (in which, Ashlyn's neurosurgeon feels the issues are not connected).
We are moving half way across the country in a few weeks. This means changing to all new doctors. I was hoping that this eye appointment would go well so we could wait a little longer before having to get a check up with a new doctor, but she will need to be seen again in three months. I'm also nervous because this has been Ashlyn's eye doctor since she was six months old, she knows Ashlyn's history and her medical case. It's hard knowing that if the doctor was starting to track an issue and now we have to change docs. Darn.
I know who Ashlyn's new pediatric opthalmologist will be, so hopefully it will be a good fit.
So, overall, it could be worse, but not the news I was hoping for.
Two steps forward, one step back.
Ashlyn's new glasses.
On the way home from the eye doctor. Wiped out.